maandag 17 mei 2010

The Hammer Collection movie reviews: Part 1

Sorry for the long delay, but it's FINALLY here!

First review:

Plague Of The Zombies (1966)

Hammer digs into a zombie flick (this was 3 years before Night Of The Living Dead). And I must say my overall experience was good.You get a creepy atmopsheric, balls to the wall cheap horror flick, with some dry blood. The characters in this movie are dull though, they act to weirdly and to kindly for me. The girl character really needed to get laid (in my opinion should have been raped), she goes around stupidly, with a stupid looking face and just feel useless. some male characters did better but not good enough. However the the strong parts in this film for me is the use of great scares and the low budget, you can see how some of the effects are obviously done, but that is what makes it good, it gives that extra dirty feeling and sickness to the movie.
The movie really had me jumping at times, the scene where the guys wife became a zombie, scared the shit out of me (I couldn't even look), or the dream sequence with zombies rising from the grave, just pure horror movie gold. The movie deserves extra credit for it's 60's gore! (head chopped of, walking burning corpse!)

It's a good start for me in the Hammer box
4 out of 5 burning corpses



Dracula Prince Of Darkness (1966)

back to back played in theatres with Plague Of The Zombies, Hammer makes Dracula returns after many years (don't know what happened there...). and they bring a sorta disappointing sequel.
Dracula rises again and bites the lady's, same shit, but this time Peter Cushing disapointingly isn't back as Van Helsing, but instead have these british boredoms doing the male roles. The movie gets strong with it's violent, but ends unsatisfying where people probably expected more from Dracula, he has no dialogue... AT ALL.... I read somewhere that Christophere Lee (Dracula) refused to say some dialogue because it was REALLY, REALLY bad dialogue... maybe I can't blame him.
If the film had Peter Cushing it would have been way better.
2,5/5




The Nanny (1965)

DAMM THIS MOVIE WAS GOOD

Hammer's last B&W film The Nanny is a suspensfull, well written and acted film. Bette Davis as The Nanny just OWNS, for a sweet old lady she scared the crap out of me. I almost could feel that this is the british low budget version of Psycho. The B&W definatly helps here.
Everybody thinks she's the best Nanny in the world, everybody goes with it, until the kid starts saying she killed someone and really slowly starts to build to a point that you need to believe the kid, and ends with a smart plot and feels very satisfying, not a 100% satisfying, but way more satisfyinger than Dracula Prince Of Darkness...
This one I REALLY recommend to horror fans, this one scene is just brilliantly directed.

4,5/5

PS: Sorry for the long delay, and I'll dig deeper into the movies next time.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten